Monday, February 29, 2016

week 57

On Tuesday, I got the call from President Cusick telling me the news
about grandpa. I had a feeling all morning and I was just waiting for
the call, so when it came, I wasn't too surprised. It made me so happy
and sad all at the same time. However, it was one of those moments
where I was so comforted by this gospel and the knowledge we have of
the plan of salvation.

I immediately went and prayed for two things. The first was that all
the Brockbank family would be comforted and given strength over the
coming week. The second was that the Lord would help me refocus by
reminding me why I'm still serving a mission.

The day was odd, and I just felt a little off. Around dinner time, I
started examining our plans for the evening and something didn't feel
right. We prayed, but nothing was coming and I didn't want to waste
any more time. We set off to do our plans that we had arranged. On the
way there, I had a less active family (the Smith family) come to mind
that was on the opposite side of town. I pushed the thought aside and
we continued to work.

Our plans finished early and we decided to start heading towards the
church to meet up with one of our investigators. However, I noticed
that we still had a good half hour and this less active family was on
the way... So I told Sister Felt we were going to give it a try.

I think I talked a little bit about this family last week, "the Smith
family". Nine and a half months ago, I arrived in this area and
learned their story. Baptized in October of 2014 and they were on
fire. Mom, dad and two little girls. Within a couple weeks of their
baptism, the mother found anti information and was furious. She wanted
nothing to do with the church and the whole family disappeared. For 15
months, ward members and missionaries have called, texted, left notes,
stopped by... Anything to try and talk to them, but they wanted
NOTHING to do with the church and no one has talked with them.

When I learned their story, a little fire burned within me to find a
way in and reactivate this family. Every time I have thought about
them over the past nine plus months, I have felt the distinct
impression to wait. I wasn't sure if it was my own fear or truly the
spirit telling me, but for nine months I have been told to wait. Their
names have been brought up in ward council too many times to even
count. The other sisters just tried them again about a month ago, but
no such luck.

So here we are, Tuesday evening and the spirit said, "Go ahead Sister
Sackley. It's time". We prayed right before we walked in and the words
came out of my mouth, "help us to speak only by thy spirit, to say the
things thou needs us to say".

We knocked and I could see someone look through the peep hole. I gave
my best, "YOU NEED US!!!" face.... And the door opened.

I almost cried. For 15 months, NO ONE has talked to them, and now the
mom and oldest daughter are standing right in front of me. I had no
idea what to do. We asked if they were the Smith family and they
welcomed us right in. Now I'm really freaking out. Not only have we
made contact, she is inviting us in to talk with her.

Over the next 30 minutes the spirit talked to her. I don't remember a
lot of what was said. I do remember her telling us that for over a
year people have been reaching out to her like crazy and she didn't
want to hear any of it. We asked her why she thought people were
reaching out and she said, "I don't know... Everyone wanted to tell me
the truth but I didn't want to hear it". In response we said, "No. No
one has been reaching out to correct you, rather they all love you and
care about you and want to help you". She broke down in tears.

The spirit was unreal in their home. I'm not sure why she opened the
door that night, but I can't even begin to express how grateful I am
that she did. She agreed to start coming to church again and she told
us we could teach her everything again from the beginning. We will be
going back on Wednesday. I love this family so much already.

As we got in the car, I realized that it was a direct answer to my
pray from earlier that day. I am here to be an instrument in the Lords
hands, and there is nothing that feels better than that. The Lord
showed me what He needs me to do. All week long I have felt a feeling
of peace as I have thought of Grandpa. I keep thinking of him the
morning I went to the MTC when I told him that I was going on a
mission. It seemed that he had a moment of clarity and understood
exactly what I said, to which he responded, "That's all I've ever
wanted for my grandchildren". I knew that not only was the Lord proud
of me, but Grandpa was too that night. The church is true and the
spirit is the only source of true peace and happiness.

Love you!
Sister Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment