Tuesday, August 18, 2015

week 29

Hello family-
 
So it's been a very interesting week around these parts of town. Between a lesson with Jehovah Witness and multiple run-ins with born again Christians where we exchanged "tracts", I've been thinking a lot about God this week and the life of Jesus Christ.
 
I have found myself reading a lot about the Savior's life this week and what He taught while He was here. He was bold and clear in His teachings and showed us the way to return to live with God again. He gave us commandments and helped us see how we can truly be happy in this life.
 
We met a man on the street this week who said to me, "What if you're wrong? What if everything you believe, this whole 'Jesus-plus' thing, is all wrong?"
 
Jesus-plus? I was very confused. As we talked more, He explained, "Would if the only way is Christ, nothing else?" I testified that was exactly what we believed. Christ is the center of everything, and we live by the commandments that He has given us. At the end of the conversation he said, "I hope I see you in heaven..." It's stuck with me all week.
 
It wasn't until after we left and he handed me his tract that I fully understood what he was saying. As I glanced over the tract he gave me, I found out that this man believed that as long as we say we accept Christ, we are saved. His grace will save us from everything, no matter how we live. 
 
This scripture immediately came to mind:
the JW are giving us watch towers and juice these days!!



Alma 42:25 "What, do ye suppose that mercy can rob justice? I say unto you, Nay; not one whit. If so, God would cease to be God"
 
We fall short, we are human beings and we are not perfect. But our faith and belief in Jesus Christ leads us to action. It is a constant and continuous effort to come unto Him. God knew we would fall short, and so He provided a Savior. We can't make it through this life without Him, but we have to make sure we are putting in the effort. 
 
I love the talk by Elder Holland, "The Cost and Blessings of Discipleship" in it he states, "Sadly enough, my young friends, it is a characteristic of our age that if people want any gods at all, they want them to be gods who do not demand much, comfortable gods, smooth gods who not only don’t rock the boat but don’t even row it, gods who pat us on the head, make us giggle, then tell us to run along and pick marigolds...It is obvious that the bumper sticker question “What would Jesus do?” will not always bring a popular response."
 
This is the work of God and I feel so blessed to be a part of it. It's hard work, but it was meant to be that way, to help us learn and grow and continually come unto Christ.
 
Love you all!
Siste Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment